Each vegetable has a unique taste and this renders a special flavour to the Sāmbhar. Sundaikaai or Turkey Berry too imparts a special taste to Sāmbhar. This tiny miracle is full of health benefits and almost every house in semi urban areas in Tamilnadu have a Sundaikaai Plant in their garden . Sundaikaai can be sundried and be used year long .Sundaikaai has many medicinal values and is helpful in curing stomach ulcers and to kill germs. Fresh Sundaikaai is available in our nearby market and i got very tiny sundaikaai this time which i made sambhar .
Sundaikaai (Turkey Berry) – a cup
Tamarind – small lemon size
Small Onion – 5
Tuvar Dal – 1 cup
Sāmbhar Powder – 1 ½ tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
Curry leaves and coriander leaves to garnish
Mustard seeds -1 stp
Methi seeds -1 tsp.
1.Wash Sundaikaai. Slit it .
2. Peel onion and cut tomatoes.
3. Cook Tuvar dal in a pressure cooker .
4. Soak Tamarind in enough water and extract the juice.
5.In a heavy bottom vessel add 1 tsp oil. Splutter mustard seeds and Methi seeds.
6.Fry onion and then tomato.
7. Add the Sundaikaai and sauté well.
8. Add Tamarind juice, Sāmbhar powder, Turmeric powder and cover it.
9.After the vegetables are cooked add Cooked Tuvar Dal and salt and boil for few more minuets .
10. Finally garnish with coriander leaves and curry leaves.
Sundaikaai Sāmbhar can be taken with rice or Idly , Dosai.