Naan is the most preferred choice when it comes to our choice in restaurants apart from Parotta. Since it is occasional we mostly select Butter Naan and a vegetarian gravy which gives a full contended meal . Trying it at home is always my dream and i think i have tried it in a tava . But this recipe involves baking in a oven and so i was impressed by it and the product was fine and good .Naan is usually made with all purpose flour and cooked in a tandoor. A runny gravy ( vegetarian or non vegetarian ) goes well with this .
Now for the process .
Ingredients : (Makes 8 naan )
All purpose flour – 4 cups
Milk – 1 1/4 cup
Sugar – 2 tsp
Dry Yeast – 1/4 tsp
Baking Powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Egg -1 (optional)
Oil – 2 tbls
Yoghurt – 1/4 cup
1. Combine the milk, sugar. yeast in a small bowl . Stir to mix . Set aside for 15 to 20 minutes .
2. Sift the flour and baking powder in a large bowl . make a well in the center and add the salt , beaten egg, oil, yogurt and yeast mixture.
3. Mix to form a soft dough . Slightly knock it with your knuckles and make it into a pliable dough.
4.Cover it with a damp cloth for 1 to 2 hours.
5. Preheat the oven at 200 degree C.
6. Punch down the dough , knead it briefly and divide it into 8 portions . Roll out the dough either into circles 6 to 7 inches in diameter or into tear shape .
7. Arrange the rolled breads on a greased cookie sheet . Apply butter on both sides before and after baking the Naan. Bake on the top oven rack for 10 minutes or until slight brown . Serve hot.