Come Summer and we all like to give all reasons to eat chilled or cooled. But being a mother i myself cannot indulge . So i though infusing fruits with diet will be healthy and staying truthful to what all we read . So Tamil New year was an occasion for me to try Longan Payasam . The idea i got form chef inyou , in which she had used Palm fruit. Since Longan too has the same texture as palm fruit i decided to use it . And again reasons kids like it and a try for new culinary skills is an increased advantage. Yummy the payasam was good and my Good old(!) Hubby excused me for not doing Vadai as it is customary too and with kids Tests going on The gods too must have forgiven me as it rained heavenly and heavily adding the fire to the cool mood. Now for the recipe.
Longan – 1 cup (peeled, deseeded and cut into twos.)
(If you are not lazy you can peel, remove the seeds and add as much as you want to the payasam. No rules here.)
Badam – 1 tbls
Milk – 2 cups
Sugar – 1 /2 cup
Pandan Essence -1 tsp
Green colour -1 /2 tsp.
1. Boil the milk and reduce it to half the quantity .
2. Microwave high the Badam/ Almond for 2 minutes . Then dry grind it well .
3. Add sugar to the reduced milk. Mix well.
4. Add the colour and essence and then the ground powder and give a mix .
5. Switch off immediately .
6. When little bit warm add the longans .
7. You can try this immediately or chill and serve . Both tastes good.
You can use any essence like mango, vanilla, chocolate , orange,saffron or cardamom. In place of Badam we can even add coconut milk or condensed milk. The idea is just to incorporate Longan in a sweet base.