Capsicum pickle was the idea i got from Sikandulous cuisisine. In that Red Bell pepper was used . I thought of using three coloured capsicums and made some variations . Yesterday was the ideal day as i had a mood to cook in the afternoon hours. So after make Idli Chutney powder, grinding the Idli maavu i cut the capsicums and got ready to make a pickle. After a walk i made this simultaneously preparing for dinner. Quite an easy one and tastes deliciously too.
Red, Green, Yellow capsicum -1 each
Tamarind – small lemon size
Red Chilli powder – 2 tsp
Gingelly Oil – 3 tbls
Turmeric powder -1 /2 tsp
Jaggery -1 tbls
Hing – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds -1 /2 tsp
To Roast and grind
Mustard Seeds -1 tsp
Methi seeds -1 tsp
1. Wash and cut capsicums into small pieces.
2. Soak Tamarind in water for half an hour.
3. Dry roast Mustard seeds and Methi seeds and grind them to a fine powder .
4. Squeeze thick Tamarind juice from the soaked tamarind.
5. Heat oil in a kadai. When it gets hot add mustard seeds and hing. Then fry the capsicum well . You can add little sugar so that the color will not change. Add tamarind juice, Turmeric powder and red chilli powder. Mix well. Cover and slow cook the gravy .
6. In 10 to 15 minutes the pickle will become thick . Now remove the lid and cook in an open pan . Add the powdered mustard- methi combo to this and give a stir.
7. Finally add jaggery and mix well. Add a dash of gingelly oil and switch off the flame. When cool store in air tight containers.