And when it came to bake a cake i was confused on what to do as i am rather poor in my frosting skills. As a mother i wanted to acknowledge my daughter’s feelings and not thrust something as cake on her day. So i took extra care and searched for recipe . i had two in hand one from fourth sense cooking and one from Food network. After baking and frosting as in food network i was not happy with what i had done . So quickly i used the cream made the day before from fourth sense cooking . Yes now it is good and the remaining dough i made cup cakes with frosting from food network. With that the cake was made, left in the fridge for 6 hours and evening we cut it and i was even worried of the quantity . But as soon as the cake was cut and tasted the kids rushed for their second serving. One thing we can control in home made cakes is the colour we use for frosting and the amount of ingredients. Now the cup cakes too are hot sales and needn’t worry for a couple of days on what to give them for their small cravings as my fridge is loaded with cake and cupcakes and chocos. Thanks Food network and 4th sense cooking. Now for the recipe.
APF -2 and a 3/4 Cup
Sugar – 2 cups
Butter – 1 stick
Vegetable oil – 1/2 cup
Baking Powder – 1 tsp
Baking Soda – 1 tsp
Vanilla essence -1 tbls
Milk -1 cup
Rainbow sprinkles -3 tbls
Hershey’s chocolate – 2 pkts
Butter -1 stick.
Milk -1 /4 cup.
1. Preheat the oven @ 350 degrees.
2. Butter two cake pans and dust with flour. The cake pans need to be of same size and shape or we can bake twice . For the remaining batter i lined the cupcake trays .
3. Mix flour, baking powder and baking soda together.
4. Beat the butter ,sugar and oil in a large bowl with a electric mixer set at on medium – High speed until light in color and fluffy for about 5 minutes .
5. Beat the eggs one at a time and add . The food network had mentioned for 5 large eggs , but since i had smaller ones i used six eggs.
6. Add the vanilla essence till combined.
7. Alternate folding the flour mixture and the milk into the batter with a spatula , adding the four in three additions and the milk in two , starting and ending with flour until just smooth.
8. Add the sprinkles and do not mix hard as they may blend with the dough.
9. Divide the dough into the two parts and bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Mine took 30 minutes. In between we can rotate the pan for even baking .
10. Let them cool.
11. Mean while prepare the frosting.
12. Double boil or melt chocolate in a wide pan in a micro oven and add the butter too stirring in between. When both get melted. remove and mix well. If needed add milk.
13. Apply evenly on the right side of a cake and on top place another layer and apply on the sides and top the frosting. Add sprinkles and decorate with chocos.
14. Cake is ready. We can simply bake one layer of cake and even eat without any frosting . The remaining dough if any in this recipe can be used for cupcakes . 20 minutes baking should be ideal.
A good recipe which gives me confidence on my baking skill. Any how need to improve more and substitute many healthy ingredients.