Come Krishna Jayanthi and all our festivals start . My paternal side celebrate this but in my in laws side we do not. Thinking about this i was sitting in my newly bought house some 15 years ago. Suddenly i got a call from my aunt Maha Chithi . She asked me about celebrations . i told the reason. She adviced me to celebrate this as this is the First festival after coming to the new house. So i started celebrating this. Drawing the pattern of Krishna’s feet and offering him butter, curd, Aval, milk is my favourite apart from making any snack. Usually my mom makes Wheat appam and murukku , so i followed her. Surprise after that may be an year my daughter was born and her birth star is Rohini, star of Lord Krishna. This year wanted to jump start and make a change in the celebration and so pre prepared everything . In between we had a friend’s visit . So after that i i drew kolam and stared preparing aval kesari and Thattai.
A satisfied and contented celebration . Now for the recipe of Aval kesari.
Aval -1 and 1/2 cup
Sugar – 1 and 1/2 cup
Orange colour -1 tsp
Ghee – 2 tsp
Cardamom powder -1 /2 tsp.
Water -2 cups
1. Dry roast Aval l in a pan in slow fire for 5 minutes.
2. When cool grind it to rava like consistency.
3. Add 2 cups of water to a pan and boil well.
4. Add this water to the aval till it gets soaked and cook in low flame.
6/. It does not take that much time. Then add food colour and sugar.
7. No lumps are formed . Stir well in slow fire.
8. When all water is absorbed add ghee and cardamom powder.
8. The mixture becomes an unified one and then remove from fire.
10. Offer it to God and then relish. It tastes divine .