Bisi Bela Bath is a Karnataka dish.It is made of veegtables and Rice, dal. My mother used to do this in my childhood . I think it should be a new dish by her . So we all used to eat it with much liking and the name itself sounded very interesting to me . The peanuts was well liked by me but i hated the small onions so she used to grind and add to the sambhar. Her method is different. After that My Husband’s Aunty Susila Chithi made this on her visit to our House . i observed her and learned her method too. The masala Vadai and rice she made still lingers in my tongue and mind. Now for the recipe.
For the Rice
Rice -3/4 cup
Tuvar Dal- 1/2 cup
Hing – a small piece
Groundnut – 1/2 cup
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
For the Sambhar:
Tamarind – a small ball
Small onions – 10
Mustard seeds -1 tsp
Curry leaves – few sprig
Brinjal, Chow Chow ,Unripe Mango, Yellow pumpkin, White pumpkin., Drum sticks, Carrot, Beans,Potato -1 to 2 cups
For the Masala Powder:
Coriander seeds -2 tsp
Urad Dal – 1 tsp
Channa Dal -1 tsp
Methi Seeds -1 /2 tsp
Cinnamon – 1
Red Chilli -3 to4
Coconut – 1/2 cup(grated)
1. Soak the dal and groundnuts in water for half an hour . Soak the Tamarind too.
2. Meanwhile wash the vegetables and cut them into medium sized pieces. You can add all the vegetables or only few. i do not skip yellow pumpkin as i feel it gives an unique taste.
3. Grate the coconut and peel the small onions.
4.In a kadai add oil and add the ingredients in the following order and mildly roast them. Cinnamon, clove, Coriander seeds, Urad Dal, Channa dal,Methi seeds, red Chilli and coconut . My mother adds small onion too to this.
5. Let it cool. Pressure cook the rice, dal , groundnuts with 4 cups of water, little hing and turmeric powder . After it is cooked mash a little bit .
6. I use a cooker for making the sambhar too. In a pressure pan add oil and then splutter mustard seed s and let it crackle. then add small onion s and fry well. Then add the Tamarind water . Add the vegetables . Dry grind the roasted ingredients and add to this . Close the lid and cook for one whistle.
7. When the sambhar and rice is made adds to the sambhar and mix the sambhar and rice well and if needed again cook this for few minutes . Either add ghee or Gingelly oil on top. Garnish with cashew and curry leaves if needed. Serve with Appalam or any spicy curry .
This food tastes superior when eaten after few hours . That is when we make for lunch and reheat and eat for Dinner the ingredients blend well, so the best taste.