After a happy vacation to India now sitting back and enjoying the delicacies and thoughts and with a fresh mood to start life i am reentering the world of blog from today. i had taken a few pictures of recipes during my trip but did not want to do serious work but just stretch the legs and sit so as to escape from monotonous life . Sometimes passion too becomes monotonous. Now the world of millets ruling us we do not need any description about it. So i had planned to buy few types of millets during my trip and at the last minute and luggage problem i just stopped with two types one Saamai and another Kuthirai vaali. An advice which i too should follow is limit the buying of sweets and other items and invest in such health food during the trip to India as we an get a few days of healthy food . Now we the good news is we get in Singapore too. i had planned to makes Saamai upuma but my sister was elaborating on a Khichadi method and i wanted to make it in that way. After getting an idea of how Saamai should be cooked from Jeyashri’s kitchen i made this. Luckily i made it in a spicy way as Saamai tastes bland so we can even think of making biriyani i with it that is adding a few more spices. An easy health alternative and is handy like Rava on days where we have to cook but not still kitchen ready. Now for the recipe.
Samai Arisi -1 1/4 cup
Carrot, Beans -1 cup
Ginger Garlic paste – 11/2 tsp
Green Chilli -3 to 4
Small Onion -5
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds -1 /2 tsp
1. Soak Saamai in water for 15 minutes to aid cooking faster.
2. Dice the vegetables, Tomato and onion.
3. Make the ginger garlic paste and grind the green chilli too along with it . You can increase the chilli quantity as your taste.
4. In a kadai add oil and splutter the mustard seeds. Then saute onion and ginger garlic green chilli paste.
5. Add the diced vegetables and saute well. Add the tomatoes too.
6. Add water around 2 to 2 1/2 cups as Khichadi needs to be little mushy and we need water to cook vegetables .
7. Add the turmeric powder and cover the pan . Ensure the flame is in a sim mode.
8. When the vegetables are done add salt and mix well . Now add the Saamai rice and cook in a closed pan and low flame.
9. It may take 10 to 12 minutes only . After all, the water evaporates switch off the flame and serve with a dollop of ghee if preferred and Pickle.
10. Yummy taste assured.