But it was getting postponed ..
Getting a book in the library prompted me to do this and the colourful photos were an attraction, with Valentine’s day in the next few hours it was a perfect day for me to indulge in this new passion.
i do not know whether i will be doing this again but i have an urge to continue trying this to get more perfect results. My kids loved it very much .My hubby liked the chocolate cake and myself the frosting.
Now for the recipe.
RECIPE Source: Cake Balls by Robin Ankeny and Charlette Lyon of The Cake Ball Company.
The recipe should be divided into three parts. One is the Cake baking next the frosting and finally the coating part.
The baking of Chocolate Cake.
All purpose flour -2 cup
Unsweetened cocoa powder – 3/4 cup
Baking soda – 2 tsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp
Vinegar- 2 tsp
Milk -1 cup
Granulated Sugar- 2 cups
Eggs -2 (at room temperature)
Vegetable oil – 1/2 cup
Vanilla essence – 2 tsp
Water -1 cup
Beet root – 2 tsp(cut into small pieces)
1. Preheat the oven at 350 degree F and grease a pan
2. In a bowl mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda,salt and mix well.
2. In another bowl mix the milk and vinegar.Cook the beetroot and blend well in a mixer.
3. In yet another bowl mix sugar, eggs , vegetable oil , 1 cup of water and the milk mixture . You can use an electric mixer. Add the vanilla and blend well. Slowly add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and mix well.Add the beetroot mash to this and mix well. You can also add red colour instead of Beet root .
4. Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake for 20 to 30 minutes or depending on your oven capacity . Allow it to cool.
i halved the recipe and did not use vinegar, the cake was excellent .
The cake is just right to eat now . But we have to work with it so we are controlling our desire to eat this. So allow it to cool . When cool crumble the cake with your hands and let them stay as such.
Now for the Frosting part :
Basic Cream Cheese Icing
Unsalted Butter – 4 tbs
Cream Cheese- 4 ounces
Vanilla extract -1 tsp
Confectioner’s sugar -1 and a 1/4 cup
Use an electric mixer on medium speed and beat together the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Mix in the Vanilla essence and finally the sugar and blend till smooth and creamy .
The frosting too is tasty enough to lick but the cake needs it . So mix the frosting with the cake and mix well. You can see that you are able to make a lump with your hands . So make small balls out of it and refrigerate in the fridge for 2 hours.
White Chocolate or Dark Chocolate – 24 ounces
Any Decoration – 1/2 cup
Melt the Chocolate in an oven . When cool enough take the cake balls from the fridge . Prick a tooth pick in the cake ball and dip in the Chocolate bath well.Then rest the cake ball for few minutes . Continue with the rest one by one . You can again refrigerate so that the chocolate sets .It should yield a stiff layer of coating . Mine did not as i used choco chips in hand . Anyway we had a taste of wet Chocolate topping .The final touch is of our own creativity . Sprinkle any deco on top.Cake balls need to be cooled to get that Zing thing.
Happy Valentine’s day to ALL of you.