One of the quickest meal to prepare with full health benefits and a guaranteed empty lunch box from kids is Fried rice using frozen vegetables. This simple yet tasty dish was made in the earlier days of my marriage . Somehow i lost this idea. Now when i wanted to make food for my son who has to eat lunch in school for three days a week and more of all a fussy eater i am thinking of new ideas which would suit his taste buds. Frozen vegetables have sweetish taste and on a hot afternoon sitting alone he need not shed his tears by eating spicy food. Such a wise understanding gave me a new renaissance to this much forgotten food. One thing in this is the colour of the rice should not change . i think have succeeded and we can add scrambled eggs to this. Since this is done for my Husband’s lunch i did not want it to be too harsh to other’s noses . Now for the recipe
1. Basamati Rice -1 cup
2. Frozen vegetables- 1/ 2 cup
3. Big onion -2
4.Green chilli -3
5. Capsicum – 1/4 cup
6. Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
7. Oil -3 tsp
8. Salt – to taste
1. Soak the rice in water for half an hour.
2. Cut onion and slit the green chilli.
3. Dice the capsicum and defrost the required a quantity of frozen vegetables.
4. Now pressure cook the basmati rice with 1 and a half cup of water and cook for 2 whistles.You can even cook in an open pan.
5. When cooked spread in a plate and allow it to cool. 6. The rice can be cooked before hand and stored in the fridge to get best results.
6. Now take a wok and add oil preferably olive oil . When the oil becomes hot simmer the stove and add the green chilli and capsicum and stir well. Then add the onions and give a quick fry . You can increase the flame now.
7. Add the frozen vegetables and again give a quick mix. Any moisture should evaporate well.Add the pepper powder either black or white and salt and mix well.
8. Keep on stirring the vegetables so that we get no trace of moisture . Now add the fluffed rice to this and again mix well.
9. Note that the rice should not change colour so lower the flame and ensure that the rice too is not broken.
10. Finally when you see that the rice is separate and not mushy switch off the flame and serve hot with any sauce of your choice. i had yesterday’s dinner channa masala so that was packed with this for the lunch box.
A simple yet healthy and tasty meal.