Rava Pongal is my favourite tiffin. And if cooked by my mom i like it very much as she makes it very well. i do not make this often as i had failed in getting the consistency . But recently i made this and it came out well. i just tried with what i remembered and it came excellent. Nowadays i remember to buy rava while i visit grocery shops as i am now proficient in making this as well as my family liked this . Now for the recipe.
White Rava -1 cup
Moong Dal -1 /2 cup
Black pepper -1 /2 tsp
Cumin seeds -1 /2 tsp
Ghee – 3 tsp
Cashewnuts – 4 to 5
Ginger – a small piece
Turmeric powder -1 /2 tsp
Curry leaves- a sprig.
Salt – to taste
1. Dry roast the moong dal for few minutes.
2. Wash it and add the rava.
3. Add 4 cups of water , turmeric powder and salt.
4. In a small kadai add ghee and then add pepper, cumin seeds, cashewnuts and finally curry leaves. Add finely grated ginger too to this.
5.Now add this to the rava moongdal mixture and mix well.
6. Cook it directly in a cooker . Up to 4 whistles is enough.
7. When the steam settles remove the lid and give a quick mix. Serve hot with coconut chutney .