Gole Baje is a popular Mangalore snack. i came to know about this after reading in a blog. But my Mother prepares a similar one and we call it as Maida Bonda . Ours is different from this and the texture is also different . Adding one or two ingredients makes this different from my mother’s . i had made this when friends came home and it was a hit . So be cautious when you make this as Gole Baje will become a crowd puller and other dishes have to go into the fridge.
Gole Baje seem to have different recipes and i tried the one which seems to be good .Yes it is . So now straight from my kitchen.Now for the recipe.
Self raising flour -1 cup
Bengal Gram Flour -1 /4 cup
Rice Flour -1 /4 cup
Yoghurt- 1/2 cup
Salt – to taste
Big onion -2
Green chilli – 2
Oil – Enough to deep fry.
1. Mix the three flour . Add salt .
2. Cut onion and green chilli into fine pieces and mix with this.
3. Add the whisked yoghurt and if not enough to mix the whole batter add little water.
4. The batter should be thick.
5. Allow this to ferment for 4 to 5 hours.
6. Heat oil in a frying pan.Scoop or make small balls out of this and slide into the hot oil.
7. The first batch gives pale color Bajjis later golden bajjis.
8. It is fast to cook . Drain the fried bajjis in a tissue paper . Serve with sauce for a quick snack other wise coconut chutney too will do the magic.
The texture of the Bajji is smooth and soft .
1. If you do not have self raising flour use Maida and half a tsp of baking soda .
2. You can add ginger to the a batter.
3. You can add cut coconut pieces too.
4. You can omit rice flour too. Other wise too its is good .