It is Aadi peruku again and a working day too . i was cautious that i should not miss this day and i just minimized the preparations as all of them outside home there will be less time to celebrate.This year i prepared 5 Rice Pongal adapted from Sharmis passion.It is a unique recipe and i made some amendments and am sure it will be a hit with a twist of including healthy ingredients. As i had Samai rice only at home i used only this . But we can combine all millets and make this. Adding Rock sugar is a different idea too. Now for the recipe.
Raw Rice -2 tbsp
Basmati rice -2 tbsp
Boiled Rice – 2 tbsp
Samai Rice -2 tbsp
Aval/Poha -2 tbsp
Moong Dal -2 tbsp
Sugar Candy(Kalkandu)- 1/3 cup
Sugar – 2 tbsp
Boiled Milk – 1/2 cup
Water -2 cups.
Ghee – 2 tbsp
Cardamom – 2(Powdered)
Cashew – 4
1. Mix all the rice varieties and dry roast in pan for few minutes.
2. When cool pulse it to a coarse mixture.
3.Dry roast the moong dal and pulse it too.
4.Rinse all well. Pressure cook with 2 cups of water for 3 whistles.
5. When steam settles mash the rice well. i found it not necessary. Add the rock sugar and sugar. Switch the flame and mix gently.Add milk too..
6. Add water if you find the mixture too thick.
7.Add ghee in a small pan and add cashew , cardamom powder and then top on the Pongal.
8.Your Five rice Pongal is ready.You can add an extra dash of ghee too.
1.Add sago, Red rice, Kuthiraivalli, Varagu or any other millet combo.
2. Can add Saffron, raisins too.