The other day we went to Kailash Parbat Restaurant here. It was our first experience to this restaurant and for me a restaurant serving only vegetarian food is a boon and i decided to take a plunge . All set ready and we ordered food which we thought was familiar to us. The woman taking the order tried to explain us how the Briyani we ordered will be .That was not upto our taste so i immediately changed to the second in the menu. The name too i couldn’t pronounce was the highest comedy here. Along with this we had ordered Mushroom Briyani which was Green in colour. The Awadhi Kewra Briyani (the second one)was a hit and we finished it quickly. Luckily we had ordered naan and mushroom Briyani so we were stomach full.i could truly give 5 stars for Kailash Parbat and especially for this Awadhi Kewra Briyani . i am rolling up my sleeves for my next plunge over in this restaurant. Again i searched for the restaurant menu in Google and got the name in my head . The preparation method is little tedious . First time i made this it became mushy but we liked the taste. The next time i tried a new method and the result was wonderful. I would like to add here Kewra is an essence like Pandan which we get in India . i believe it is Thazhamboo. And awadhi is a style of cooking i.e Dum method, originating from Uttar Pradesh. If you do not have Kewra essence go without it or add Pandan essence . But do not miss Rose water and saffron . It is the kick in this Briyani . Now let’s go for this. Readers do suggest me if you have any tips for this recipe.
Briyani Rice -1 and 1/4 cup
Mixed vegetables – 2 cups (carrot,potato, beans. peas . cauliflower)
Ginger garlic paste – 1 tbsp
Onion -2 (sliced)
Red Chilli powder -1 and 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder -1 tsp
Garam Masala paowder – 1 tsp
Black Cumin seeds -1 /2 tsp
Green cardamom – 3
Bay leaf -2
Cinnamon -1 piece
Black Cardamom -2
Mint leaves – i hand full
Kewra Water (Screw pine)- 1/2 tsp
Rose water – 2 tsp
Saffron -2 to 3 strands
Salt – to taste
Oil- 3 tsp
Ghee – 2tsp
Unsalted butter – 1 tsp
- Soak the rice in water for half an hour .
- If using dry peas soak overnight and cook separately and keep aside.
- Slice onion and prepare the Ginger garlic paste.
- Soak the saffron strands in rose water and keep aside.
- Dice the vegetables .
- In a kadai add oil and little ghee .Add the spices and and fry well.
- Next add onions and saute well.Add mint leaves too.
- Then add ginger garlic paste fry well .
- Add vegetables and give a good mix .
- Add all spice powders and required salt taking into account for the whole Briyani and mix well.
- Remove from fire . The vegetables need to be mixed well in the spices . It need not be fully cooked , half cooked is enough.
- In a pan add water and a pinch of salt. when it boils add the Briyani rice . Keep in mind the water need to just cover the rice and not even our usual 1 :1 and a 1/2 ratio. Other wise we have to drain the unused water.
- When the rice is half cooked or to be more correct if it loses its uncooked rice texture it is time to remove form stove . To make the rice separate drain it in a sieve and let it stay for a while.
- In a heavy bottom vessel add oil and give a swirl.
- Then add a layer of rice . On top of it add a layer of vegetables .
- Then again a layer of cooked rice and then the vegetables . You may be dong this only two times for the amount of Rice prescribed in this recipe. Add a little of the essence here . Cover the vessel with Aluminium foil .and cook in a very low flame.
17. Mean while you can make Onion raitha or any paneer gravy which is very ideal for this dish..The more slower the Briyani gets cooked the more tasty and vegetables too get infused in the spices well .
18. After 10 to 12 minutes switch off the flame and add the Kewra essence and Rose water + Saffron mixture to this . Add ghee on top . If you wish add unsalted butter to this Briyani.
19. Yummy Awadhi Kewra Briyani is ready and is apt for Special days..