Sambhar is my father’s and daughter’s favourite . Although i do not favour it much owing to the lesser chances of having a hearty meal at home for our kids due their busy schedule the option to switch to our Traditional cooking is better. So instead of a fried rice or Briyani i cooked sambhar today.Tamil magazine Mangaiyar Malar had a collection of sambhar and from that i chose Pappu Pulusu. It is a simple one yet tasty with lot of vegetables to give good nutritional value.
- Tuvar Dal – 1 cup(Cooked)
- Small onion – 10
- Garlic – 4 flakes
- Yellow Pumpkin, Drum stick, Brinjal, Unripe Mango-1 cup
- Sambhar powder -1 and a 1/2 tsp
- Tamarind -1 small lemon size
- Tomato -2
- Mustard seeds- 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds-1 tsp
- Urad dal -1 /2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Curry leaves, Coriander – few
- Jaggery – 1 tsp
- Soak Tamarind in water .
- Wash and soak tuvar dal for 20 minutes.
- Cook it is a pressure cooker.
- Cut all vegetables.
- Squeeze the tamarind juice .
- In a thick vessel add oil and heat .
- Add mustard seed, urad dal, cumin seeds .
- Add the onion, tomato, vegetables ,garlic and saute well.
- Add the tamarind juice and then Sambhar Powder.
- Cover the vessel and cook in a low flame.
- It may take 20 minutes for the vegetables to get cooked.
- When vegetables get cooked , add Cooked tuvar dal, salt and sugar.
- Cook for few more minutes.
- Garnish with curry leaves and coriander leaves.