Poha or flattened rice is an easy to digest food . It comes handy when we are short of time to cook a a meal. In older days people used to eat Poha/ Aval as a staple food. It was taken during virat days. In novels i have read, this poha will be made at homes .Now we get two varieties one hand made and another machine made,a bit thicker. Also we get red rice Poha. I prefer Poha to be in hand always because in these times of Banned Maggi and all such things it is difficult on some days to make something quick. So Aval/Poha, sphaghetti , Pasta , rava and millets are some choices we can have to make quick meals.
Flattened rice (also called beaten rice) is a dehusked rice which is flattened into flat light dry flakes.They are most famously known as “Pohe” in malwa region, also they are considered to be originated in the malwa region itself. These flakes of rice swell when added to liquid, whether hot or cold, as they absorb water, milk or any other liquids. The thicknesses of these flakes vary between almost translucently thin (the more expensive varieties) to nearly four times thicker than a normal rice grain.(Source :Wikipedia)
Now for the Aval recipe. I know to make Pepper Aval Upuma, Tomato Aval upuma, Tamarind Aval upuma, Sweet Aval , Vegetable Aval upuma and Kanda Poha. But lemon in any thing is a good choice and i preferred doing this upuma for dinner recently . i added potato to give a extra boost so that it will be filling . i used the Thick variety Aval. Now for the recipe.
- Aval/ Poha – 1 and a 1/2 cup
2. Lemon -1( Big) or 2 (if small)
4. Green Chilli -2
- Hing -1 /2 tsp
2.. Urad dal -1/2 tsp
3..Channa dal -1/2 tsp
4.. Mustard seeds -1/2 tsp
5. Peanuts -1 Tbsp
Also you will need :
1.Turmeric powder -1 /2 tsp
2. Salt – To Taste
3.. Oil-2 tsp
4.. Curry leaves/ Coriander leaves – a handful.
- Soak the aval in water and give a quick rinse . Then drain the water and leave aside the aval.
- Some prefer soaking the aval in water for 10 to 15 minutes. But i just rinse and leave it as that moisture is enough for it get soaked.
- In the mean time cut onion, green chilli and potato into small dices.
- Get ready the spices also.. Now add turmericpowder, lemon juice, salt and hing to the soaked aval/poha nd mix well.
- Add oil in a kadai and temper the ingredients as listed .
- Now add onion and green chilli and saute well. Add potato and fry well.
- Then add the aval mixture and give a quick mix.
- Close the lid and simmer the flame.
- In about 10 minutes the Lemon poha will be ready. You can add a dash of gingelly oil and top of it .Garnish with coriander leaves/Curry leaves.
- Just serve it as such or with any pickle or mint/coriander chutney.