Samai or Litle millet is another healthier choice to be included in our diet. As many of us wonder or even ask other how to cook millets the most simplest answer i can give is replace rice or rava or wheat rava in everything we cook it is the best way to know how to cook millets. As millets do not need any other special method this is the best answer. The usual Pongal, upuma, khichadi , dosai, idli, paniyaaram, adai or even mixed rice can be made with millets . So without hesitation we must all start including millets in our diet. The other day i was surprised to see millets in our local store itself. The owner told me she had ordered millets to be delivered in the shop as she knew many of us will be buying . She asked me the recipes and i gave her good tips and my blog address. A good change and surprise for me.
Now for Samai pongal which i wanted to include in the blog as i feel the blog deserves more millet recipes.
- Samai -1 and 1/4 cup
2. Moong Dal/ Payatham Paruppu -1 /2 cup +1 tbsp
3. Carrot – 1 cup( diced )
4.Black pepper -1 tsp
5. Cumin Seeds – 2 tsp
6. Hing -a small piece
7.Green chilli -1
8.Ginger-1 /2 inch
9.Turmeric powder-1 /2 tsp
10.Salt – to taste
11.Oil+Ghee – 3 tsp
- Wash the moong dal. The samai rice need not be washed .
- In a pressure pan add oil and ghee mixture .
- When it gets heated add spices in the order pepper, cumin, hing , green chilli and wait till they all splutter one by one.
- Then add water for 1 cup samai rice it is 3 cups of water . Here we should add 4 to 5 cups as i always include water for the dal too .
- Add the cut carrots, samai rice , dal, turmeric powder and salt and mix well.
- Add curry leaves too.
- Close the pan and cook for 4 to 5 whistles .
- Unlike rice pongal or rava pongal where we can find the consistency not same or lumpy samai rice does not deceive us . It is as consistent as a Pongal made by Amma.
- What credit can we give other than this .