Arisi upuma is the name given to upuma cooked with raw rice . The same recipe can be adapted with all millets too. So to bring another recipe under the millets series i made Samai in arisi upuma style. It was very easy to make it and i made this upuma in a style which my sister makes Arisi upuma. In her in laws house they do not use Tuvar dal and red chili for Arisi upuma . It has a different taste so i thought of using that recipe for Samai . It was a hit and the vessel became empty. Especially a second round from my daughter and my hubby’s comment of “nalla iruku” made me proud .From Today’s experience i came to an understanding that samai should be washed as i found a small plastic bit in the upuma . God’s grace i removed it . If we wash i think we can prevent such mishaps.
- Samai rice -1 and a 1/2 cup
- Urad dal – 1 /2 tsp
- Channa Dal -1 tsp
- Green Chilli -3 to 4(Slit)
- Mustard Seeds -1 /s tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt – required
1.Wash and drain the water.
2.In a heavy bottom vessel add oil .
3. When the oil gets heated add mustard seeds, urad dal and Channa dal.
4. Add the slit green chilli .Saute well
5. Then add rice and water in the ratio 1: 1 and a 1/2 . You can add more water if you want. Add required salt .
6.When water boils , add samai slowly .
7. Give a good mix and cover with a lid the vessel.
8. Simmer the flame.
9. In about 10 to 12 minutes the upuma will get ready .
Tasty and healthy Samai Arisi Upuma is ready.Serve with Coconut thuvaiyal.