Bisisbelabath is rice cooked with dal and mixed with a specially made Sambhar . Internet research gave me an idea to cook Samai in Bisibela bath style. i followed my traditional recipe and got a yummy dish. As per my terms of using millets i wanted to make them more easy to cook, tasty and regular in our food. This sambhar rice is tasty and as it is full of spices we do not get the bland taste associated with millets. So the second rule for using millets is adding spices to them to make them unnoticeable in the taster’s taste buds.
- Samai -1 cup
- Tuvar Dal – 1/2 cup (Reduce this to half as i found the rice and dal yielding a large quantity)
- Mixed Vegetables(Carrot, Drumstick, Beans, Potato)- 1 cup
- Tamarind – a small lemon size
- Small onions – 6(Chopped)
- Ground nuts – 1/2 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Oil and ghee – 3 tsp
- Mustard seeds -1 tsp
- Curry , coriander eaves – a handful
- Turmeric powder -1 /2 tsp
- Hing -1 /2 tsp
To Roast and Grind:
- Coconut – 1/2 cup
- Cinnamon- 1/2 inch
- Clove s-2
- Cardamom- 2
- Bayleaf -1
- Coriander seeds – 2 tsp
- Channa Dal- 1 tsp
- Red Chilli- 3 to 4
- Methi seeds-1/2 tsp
1.Soak tamarind in water.
2.Wash Tuvar dal and samai rice in water . Add 4 to 5 cups of water . Add a pinch of turmeric powder and hing. Cook in a pressure cooker for 3 to 4 whistles.When cooked mash a little, the rice and dal mixture.
3.Cut vegetables and grate coconut.
4. In a pan add a tsp of oil . Then roast and grind as given in the To Roast and Grind list . Start with cinnamon. and finally switch off the stove and fry the coconut for a minute. When cool dry grind this mixture
5. In a kadai add oil and ghee . Add mustard seeds and hing .
6..Then fry the small onions and saute well.
7..Add the vegetables, peanuts and give a good mix.
8.. Add the Tamarind water and turmeric powder and give a boil.
9.. When the vegetables are cooked add the Spices powder and salt .
10.Add the curry leaves and coriander leaves.
12. Give a boil and then switch off.
13.Mix this sambhar with the rice . Add a dash of ghee or gingelly oil and serve hot with Fryums .