Sambhar Vadai is the name my father used to utter always. And after coming to their new house my parents adapted a new breakfast in their mornings i.e Sambhar Vadai alone. This idea came from our neighbors who also happened to be vegetarians made Vadai for Breakfast and shared with my parents. Why i am mentioning Vegetarians is for us we have limited choice of Food for celebration . Among them Vadai is the common one . It differs from district to district over Tamil Nadu on all other dishes. But to my assumption i think Vadai should be a name in all our households and a must in festive seasons.Since Vadai is a deep fried item we do it rarely. But nowadays changing perceptions and beliefs make us go for traditional food . Take the best thing in it and believe it is doing good for you is more prevalent . Here Urad Dal is good for health so nowadays we do not feel guilty when making Vadai or oil conscious. So the Vadai story goes on here . My daughter is a Sambhar vadai Fan and this i came to know from our visit to Coimbatore few years ago and she insisted on Sambhar vadai for breakfast .And my son is a Vadai fan. We need not force him to eat when this comes to Vadai .So Vadai and fans story can go on but Sambhar Vadai recipe cannot stay on …Thanks to raks Kitchen for the recent post. i am following hers.
(Enough for four persons)
1. Urad Dal -1 cup
2.Salt- enough to taste
3. Green chilli – 3
4. Oil – enough to deep fry
5. Hing – a pinch
- Soak the Urad dal in water for 2 to 3 hours.
- Drain the water and grind the dal and green chilli in a grinder with water being sprinkled then and now.
- When the batter becomes fluffy remove it from the grinder .
- Add salt and hing and whip it well.
- In hot oil deep fry the small flattened balls .
- It is best advised to make Vadai immediately after the batter is ready.
For making Sambhar:
- Tuvar Dal- 3/4 cup
- Tamarind- a small lemon size
- Carrot, capsicum, Potato -1 cup
- Small onion – 4 to 5
- Tomato -1
- Red Chilli powder -1/2 tsp
- Sambhar Powder -2 tsp
- Green chilli -2
- Mustard seed s-1 /2 tsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Soak Tamarind in little water.
- Wash and soak Tuvar dal in water for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes pressure cook the Tuvar dal.
- Squeeze the Tamarind and extract the juice . it should be around 2 cups.
- Cut the vegetables and onions. Slit chilli.
- Fry the onions , chilli and vegetables.
- In a pressure cooker add the cooked dal, red chilli powder, fried onions and vegetables and chilli .
- Cook for 2 whistles . When cooked and the steam settles open the lid .
- In a small pan add little oil.
- Splutter mustard seeds and then add the Sambhar Powder and fry a little.
- Add this to the sambhar . Add salt, curry leaves and boil it for few minutes. Switch of the flame.
- In hot water immerse the hot vadais and take out the vadais and put it in a sieve
- In a small bowl add the vadai.
- Pour Sambhar on it and garnish with cut onions and coriander leaves .