Naarthangai (Citron)is a lime variety. It is mostly sundried with added salt and consumed . It aids digestion and helps to prevent vomiting. Narthangai rice and juice are also some recipes. Narthangai pachadi is another variety. It is sour, bitter, hot and sweet.A multiple combination makes us drool.I stated liking this only after i grew up.Children may not like it. But definitely they will like when they grow up. My sister had made this on my vacation to India this time this year. Later when i saw this in the road side vendors shop i wanted to d make pachadi and add in my blog. 4 or 5 Narthangais cost Rs 20 only . So Cheap and a healthy one too.i tried this in my newly bought earthenware which was also got in a roadside shop. This year my purchases were to my taste and whatever i sought for i got . Thanks to Mother.
1. Naarthangai -3 or 4
2. Tamarind -small lemon size
3. Green chilli – 5
4. Jaggery- 2 tbsp
5. Salt – to taste
6. Oil- 2 tsp.
7. Turmeric powder -1 /2 tsp
8. Hing -1 /2 tsp
- Mustard seeds -1 tsp
- Urad Dal -1 /2 tsp
- Channa Dal -1/2 tsp
- Methi seeds – 1 /2 tsp.
- Wash the narthangais. In a vessel add water enough to submerge the fruit and boil.
- When the water boils add the fruits and allow them to boil for 5 minutes.
- This is to soften the skin and reduce the bitterness.
4. When cool cut the Narthangai along with the skin into small pieces.
5. Soak Tamarind in water
6. Squeeze the juice
7. In a kadai add oil and when hot splutter mustard seeds, urad dal, channa dal and methi seeds.
9. Then add green chill and saute for a while.Add the cut Narthangai pieces and saute for a while.
10. Add tamarind juice, Turmeric powder and then cover and cook for a while.
11. When the mixture thickens and the skin gets cooked add salt and jaggery. boil for while and switch off the flame.
12. A yummy and thick pachadi is ready. Suitable for rice and upuma as a side dish. Can be refrigerated and used for week or two too.