Vada curry is a side dish for idli and dosai. Adyar Ananda Bhavan in the Highways serve this delicious dish. My daughter is an addict. Sadly we can have it only on our India trips. Although i do not favour it much because of my daughter i started liking it. And added to interest i got these ready a made masala vadai mix a in a gathering here. It is easy to make vada and so i thought why not use it for making Vada curry. Just a quarter of this packet is enough of four of us. Vada curry is always best selection when we have to cook for a large crowd . It yield large quantities. Interesting to make and the process of making this and serving is a pleasure. Also to mention the Instant House Brand Masala Vadai mix which makes the process easier and definitely we are not going to get anything lesser in taste to the authentic one.
House Brand Masala Vadai mix – 1/4 packet
Big onion – 2
Curry leaves – few.
Water -1 cup
Oil- enough to deep fry.
To make the vadai:
- Cut the big onion and green chilli.
- Mix this to the vadai flour.
- Add curry leaves .
- Add a cup of water in small amounts.
- Gather the flour together.
- When you can bind it well stop adding water.
- Add oil in a kadai .
- When hot enough make small balls out of the flour and deep fry in oil.
- Drain it in tissue papers.
Alternatively you can steam the vadai too.
For the Gravy
- Big onion -2
- Tomato -1 or 2
- Fennel seeds -1 /2 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Red Chilli powder – 2 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Coriander leaves -1/2 tbsp
- Salt – enough to taste.
- To temper :
- Cinnamon stick -1 inch
- Cloves -2
- Curry leaves – few
1.Cut onion and tomato into fine pieces.
2. Make Ginger garlic paste .
3. In a kadai add oil and temper the items given under the ingredients section.
4.Add onion and saute well.
5. The add the ginger garlic paste and saute well. Add tomatoes and cook till mushy.
6.Add coriander powder and chill powder.
8. Add turmeric powder and salt.
9.Add a cup of water
10. Allow it to boil
11.When the gravy boils and the vadai and mix well.
12. Close and cook for 5 to 10 minutes .
13. That’s it . Your tasty and delicious vada curry is ready . Serve hot with idli or dosai .
Close and cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
Garnish with coriander leaves if you have in hand..