AAdi Perukku (August 2) – Aadi Perukku or Padinettam Perukku is celebrated on the eighteenth day of this Tamil month Aadi. It is associated with the rising level of Rivers and water bodies this season in Tamil Nadu and wherever we are we worship water and do special pooja. Especially growing up in the delta region , we are used to all these celebrations, though in the town side we perform the poojai near the well, each house had a well, which is now replaced by bore wells. Variety rice are made and Aarthi shown to the water body. A sacred yellow thread is worn around the neck by women and around the wrist by men. Before marriage we used to giggle as Yellow thread is worn only after marriage. But we liked to wear the yellow thread and somehow we all felt happy for this simple festival. If we are living near rivers this festival would have been celebrated in grand manner. But having lived in a town am happy that at least I know about these rituals. This post is meant to elaborate and record what we do during festivals; the only new food I made is Kalkandu Vadai or Sugar Candy Vadai.
Sesame rice and Koil Puliyodhara I followed from my friend Aruna’s blog http://www.aahaaramonline.com They were tasty and gave a new twist . Along with it I made curd rice and Sweet Pongal . So this was a great day and happy that we celebrated this festival well .
1.It is usual for us to clean the house before the Poojai day or on that day . It is better to to do it the day before .
2.We clean the house and mop .
3. If we are non vegetarian or even egg eaters we do not make on the day of poojai or even after the house has been cleaned .Ferment milk for curd for the next day .
4. The previous day we can buy what all we want for Poojai.
The usual items for Poojai are
2. Betel nut leaf and Seeval
3. Fruits and coconut
4. Anything associated with that poojai . So for Pillayar Chathurthi buying pillayar etc.
For Aadi peruku there is nothing special. But a white thread which should be stained with turmeric powder is a must. Twine thread is ideal for this.
In my previous trip to India my mother bought this and when i enquired her about the price she said it is Rs 1. i really fainted can we get anything for One rupee in these times ???
5. Some of us make Vadai Maavu , batter the previous day,but unless necessary we need not do that .
6. Cleaning the gas stove, tiles behind the stove and kitchen counter is advised.Wash the cooker and vessels for cooking .
7.Clean the Poojai room too.
8 Change the lamps too. It is ideal to have two sets of lamps .
9. If we need to make Kolam using wet rice flour we can soak and grind it and store in the fridge .
10 . Clean the vessels meant for offering food to God. It should be noted that we can have 6 or more stainless steel basins specially for this and keep it separately in the poojai room. It should be maintained such that we do not eat from that . Usually people give them as door gifts . Saving them for POOJAI PURPOSE IS GOOD.
11. On the poojai day wash the front portion of the house and draw kolams . In our custom we do not use Kaavi or saffron colour. We can hang Mango leaves on the door.
12.Take Head bath and refrain from touching bed or unwashed clothing. Practicing these are good .
13.We can cook rice for Tamarind rice and Sesame rice together .(Rice:Water 1 :2)
14.Next we can soak for Tamarind rice , fry ingredients for the tamarind rice and sesame rice.
15.If we have one more cooker we can cook rice for curd and sweet Pongal rice together .(rice : water 1:3)
16. Powder jaggery, cardamom and sugar candy.Powder for Tamarind rice and sesame rice
17. Cook the Tamarind paste and make sesame rice.
18. When rice and Tamarind paste is ready make tamarind rice.
19. Prepare Curd rice
20. Cook little Moong dal for Sweet pongal . Add the jaggery and water and boil them in the stove.
21. Soak for Vadai.
22. Prepare Sweet Pongal when dal is ready .
23. Grind for the Vadai and in between set the Poojai Room .
If the male members of the family are present in the house on that day we can ask their help.
24. Offer flowers to the photos, light the lamp, Agarbathi and sambrani.
25.Break the coconut and collect the water in the Panchapaathiram.
26. In a tray place the fruits, Betelnut, and Coconut.Place Vessel of water symbolizing River Cauvery .
27. Make a paste with little bit turmeric powder and water . Immerse the thread twined in a small stick and let is stay for few minutes .When the yellow colour has stained well. remove from the paste. The remaining paste can be added to a water bowl containing flowers in the living room. It is good to add turmeric powder.
As we have to cook everything without tasting we must be careful while adding salt and spice . It is better if it is in the lower side. Similarly for sweet too.
28. Final stage only we make Vadai. Since we offer to God we do not add onion . So we usually make few Vadai without Onion , but add black pepper powder and salt alone . Then after poojai we make Vadai with Onion (:
For me today, no problem as i made Kalkandu vadai
29. Place the cooked food in containers meant for them in the poojai room.
30. Keep the coconut water and camphor ready .
31.We can light sambrani even now and show it all around the house.
The time for Poojai is important and we better ask elders as it differs each time .
32.Now with family members gathered around getting ready for the poojai , those who have just returned from Office can atleast wash their hands and legs .
33. Sprinkle the coconut water around the cooked food and fruits .
34.Light the camphor and show it to the gods three times clock wise . .
Then take it to the Entrance of the house and show the lighted Camphor.
In this festival we can offer it to the Tap in the kitchen or if we have well pooja is done near the well.
35.Then place the lighted camphor near the Poojai altar and do the namskaram.Apply Vibuthi . It is customary for elders to apply Vibuthi on the foreheads of Younger ones.
36. Only after the camphor lights off we should remove the food from the Pooja room. Place a little food in the window sill for crows.
37. We can now tie the yellow thread around the wrist or neck.
38. We may find the food spicy or less salt but after the poojai no alteration must be done .And not wasting the food prepared for Gods is a must .
39. That’s it . A big procedure but when done for God makes us lighter and happier .
Happy Aadi perukku to all readers and let all your lives too flourish and prosper like River Cauvery.
Last but not Least . .
Those who are way from family or do not have time or opportunity to perform these can visit temples and worship God . The only thing is we should remember all such festivals .
Last year i was touched when i saw the Temple Priest tying Yellow thread and most of the young men who are Bachelors were lining up there. Good gesture by Temple authorities .
It would mean a lot to those who are staying away from family.
Festivals are for sharing and caring . Finding opportunities to share food is good.
Maintaining peace and calmness is necessary .Some of them get tensed and may shout at others. Doing extreme tasks or practicing Viradha and but slipping it in our personality is not advisable . Doing what we can and sometimes tolerating others actions is also Good . After all humans stand as a monument of God .