Many years ago one of my friend told me that Mee means fat and Bee means Thin . So Mee goreng the fat noodles doesn’t need any explanation on its part . Those who have tasted it or in Singapore know about it . It is one of the popular food we get and I have already blogged about Vegetarian Bee Hoon .
The specialty of these food is including lot of vegetables . Also we have been used to the type of cooking which includes Soaking and grinding . But this type of cooking involves little bit preparation only . Se we sweat less and eat more… vegetables . So it is a D day for us .
For those who do not know about this: It is a noodles variety , yellow cooked noodles which is little bit thick is and cooked with a variety of sauces and vegetables . A slightly smoked aroma is its specialty. I have tasted its vegetarian counterpart at Komalas Buffet . But I do not eat regularly ,As getting the vegetarian Mee Goreeng outside is difficult
Recently when I went to Republic Polytechnic which has a big food court I had this . There a lot of food stalls and all have a variety of food items which even a normal food court would have . Facing a green pasture the open food court is bright and airy . No food smell and fully clean and tidy it was a pleasant experience to sit there and read a book while my son was busy in his GAT.
As it was a early day outing we bought lunch home . A vegetarian food stall which I am damn sure sells only vegetarian food, I cross checked twice and asked if all are vegetarian and the stall vendor was good enough to explain and give me a generous portion of Mee Goreng .
And that taste made me look for the recipe in the net and cook. Yet cannot match that taste . yummylicious.
This is Mee Goreng cooked in the Vegetarian style.
|Cooked Yellow noodles||1 pkt|
|Garlic||3 cloves (chopped)|
|Chilli Paste||3 tbsp|
|Fried Tofu||1 packet|
|Bean sprouts||1 small cup (Just ask for 10 c to the shopkeeper)|
|Light Soy Sauce||3 tsp|
|Tomato ketch up||3 Tsp|
|Sugar, Salt||To Taste|
- Yellow cooked noodles is available in supermarkets here. Those who cannot get can cook normal Noodles and use the same recipe.
- First soak the noodles in plenty of water , to remove the oil .
- Then cut the fried tofu or fired bean curd which is again available ready and cut into small squares.
- Peel the garlic and wash the bean sprouts .
- In a big pan add two tsp oil and add the garlic sauté well.
- Then add the noodles followed by chilli paste, soy sauce, salt, sugar and tomato ketch up.
- Sauté well.
- Add the bean curd . And Mix well. Finally add the bean sprouts and in a minute switch off the flame Serve as it is and hot .
To make CHILLI Paste :
Soak 4 to 5 chillies in hot water for 10 minutes and grind to a smooth paste with little water.
Mixing is important in this so toss the noodles up and down well to get that even coating .