Prosomillet is a grass variety and is used as a livestock feed.It is not related to other millets like Foxtail millet , Barnyard millet or finger millet . Like wheat it has high protein content but the value of amino acids is substantially high . Health promoting phenolic compounds are readily available and high calcium content favour bone health and dental health . So ample reasons to include Prosmillet in our menu.
Adai is a lentil pancake.
Proso millet is called panivaragu in Tamil
Usually rice and a variety of lentils is used to make Adai. Nowadays millets gaining popularity rice is replaced with millets. There in no specific recipe for Adai. Each house hold boasts of a recipe. i follow my grandmother’s my own and add some spice items to get a different taste.
The combination i used for Prosomillet Adai is.
1. Prosomillet/ Panivaragu -1 Cup
2. Tuvar Dal -1 /2 cup
3. Channa Dal -1 /2 cup
4.Urad Dal -1 /2 cup
5.Moog dal – 2 tbsp
6. Red Chilli -5 to 6
7.Small onions – 5 to 6
8. Garlic – 5 flakes
9.Ginger -1 inch piece
10.Saunf -1 Tsp
11.Hing – 1 tsp
12. Grated Coconut -2 tbsp
13.Salt – As needed.
14. Coconut oil – 5 tsp
- From items 1 to 5 wash and soak together in enough water.
- Soak for two hours.
- After two hours drain the water from the soaked ingredients and grind in a mixie little by little. A coarse batter is needed.The adai maavu has to be grinded and used immediately. It should not be allowed to ferment.
- Add garlic and other ingredients (Items 6 to 12) to the batter and grind.
- Finally add salt and mix well.
- If you want you can add cut onions., Murungai keerai or Vazhaipoo to the batter.
- Ina hot tava add oil and spread the batter into thick circles. Add a tsp of oil and slow cook. Flip to the other side and again add atsp of oil and cok well.
- Adai goes well with Avial.
- But it itself being heavy Jaggery is enough.
Serve steaming Paniivaragu Adai with Powdered Jaggery.
3 thoughts on “Pani varagu Adai/ Proso millet Adai.”