i am readng a book . A very useful and interesting book which breaks all our notions about cooking and eating. Needless to say that this book is written by a hotelier who is a good chef too. In a section he mentions of the Vatha kuzhambu which we often make with tamarind and sambhar powder. Although good to eat this way of making Vatha kuzhambiu is not healthy. He gives a recipe which is pretty good The usual way to make Venthaya/ Methi seeds Vatha kuzhambu is to roast the methis eeds in oil. Here it is different. So come on let us take a look on how the Venthaya Kuzhambu is made in a healthy way.
1. Methi seeds/ Venthayam – 50 gm
2. Red Chilli – 5 to 6
3. Tamarind – a small lemon size
4. Coriander powder -2 tsp
5. Tomato -2
6. Small onion – 8 ( Finely Cut)
7.Curry leaves-a sprig
8. Mustard seeds -1 tsp
9.Oil -2 tsp
10. Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
10.Salt – as needed.
- Mustard seeds -1 /2 tsp
- Jeera Seeds -1 /2 tsp
1. Soak the methi seeds in enough water overnight.
2. Soak the tamarind in water.
3.Peel the onion and cut tomatoes into small pieces.
4.In a kadai add oil and then splutter mustard seeds. Add small onion and saute well.
5.Add the red chillies and fry well.
6. Meanwhile prepare 2 cups of Tamarind strain.
7. Add the tomatoes to the onion in the pan and fry well.
8.Add the soaked methi seeds along with the water. Add coriander powder, turmeric powder and boil well .
9.Add tamarind water .
10. Let this mixture boil well.
11. Add curry leaves and salt.
12. Again boil well.Temper with mustard seeds and jeera in oil
That’s it. We get Healthy Vatha Kuzhambu.
We can use sprouted Methiseeds too.