Potato Bonda is a childhood memory and my mother used to make this. We all grew up roaming behind our mothers seeing them cooking and that’s how we all should have learnt cooking. i remember ,that i preferred adding lemon juice to the potato bonda mixture. But my mom will not do that.
Now i rarely do this bonda and if i am correct i have not made this for years. In our early days of marriage i used to make this and my husband liked this very much. He was astonished with the variety of dishes i made and also also used to kid that i cook well only when guests arrive.:)
Nowadays taking into account the whole family’s health and tastes we have to avoid few items some even forgotten. My Daughter prefers less oil items . But my son is like his father always prefers these type of items unmindful of calories. But healthy food means No i am not hunger is his trademark reply.
1. Potato -5 (small)
2. Carrot -1 (Big) (Diced into small pieces)
4. Green chilli -3
5.Ginger -1 /2 inch piece
6.Turmeric powder -1 /2 tsp
7. Mustard seeds -1 tsp
8. Channa dal -1 /2 tsp
9. Curry leaves -a sprig
10.Lemon Juice -1 tsp
11.Salt – as needed.
For the outer Coating
1. Gram Flour -1 cup
2. Rice flour -1 /4 cup
3.Red Chili powder -1 /2 tsp
4. Salt -as needed
- Wash and cut the potatoes into four.
- Cook the potatoes in a cooker.
- While it is being cooked cut onion, ginger and green chilli into small pieces.
For the Batter:
- Make the batter. Mix the ingredients given in the outer covering list and add water little by little
- The batter must be thick .
- If you have any digestion problems add ajwain seeds to the batter.
For the Potato curry:
- By now the potato must have cooked well. Allow the steam to settle.
- Take away the skin and mash the potatoes a little.
- In a kadai add oil. Ad mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
- Add onion, ginger, Green chill and diced carrots and saute well
- Add curry leaves followed by mashed potatoes.
- Add turmeric powder and salt and mix well.
- Add a dash of lemon juice at the end.
For the Bondas:
- When cool make small balls out of the potato curry .
- Heat oil enough for deep frying .
- Dip the potato balls in the batter and deep fry ill golden brown
If you have remaining batter go ahead with dipping cut apples, appalams, paneer, bread, potato, onion, brinjal, Capsicum or Raw plantain.. anything in hand and deep fry .
Apples slices deep fried .soaked in the batter .