Peanut Sundal , is a must try choice this summer. When we get Indian peanuts which are much smaller in size to the and get cooked easily it is right to try this sundal. When dieticians are promoting to eat Peanuts everywhere its is our right to add some spice and munch it off quickly. Before cooking, while peeling and while cooking peanuts peanuts everywhere and when the real stuff is ready i just wonder how much i have lost appetite(: Continue reading
At last again into blogging world. A setback in my health led to this absence . From September 2016 till today i am going through it. But God’s grace i just overcame it thanks to family members and all inspirations. Of course i was in the internet through instagram. Nowadays instagram is helpful and entertaining. But to keep up the blogging tradition i just shot few pictures of what i cooked and wanted to post one day.
The other day when i was talking to my mother she mentioned about her cooking menu. i just asked her the recipe for Mor kuzhambu and Milagu kuzhambu. It came out damn good. Whatever we make it cannot match with our mother’s skills is what i learnt.
Mor kuzambu is a spicy gravy with Buttermilk as base with spices jeera, coriander seeds and dals added.
Now this looks like a five star hotel menu card .
Right? The taste too.
1.Buttermilk – 1 cup (sourrrry…)
2.Turmeric Powder -1 /2 tsp
3.Salt – to Taste
4. Coconut oil -1 tsp
5. Chow chow, pumpkin- 1 cup
1.Tuvar Dal – 1 tbsp
3. Channa Dal -1 tbsp
3. Urad Dal -1/2 tbsp
4. Coriander seeds -1 tbsp
5.Ginger -1 /2 inch piece
6. Green Chilli -3
7. Coconut -1 /2 cup(grated )
8. Cumin seeds -1 /2 tsp
1.Mustard seeds -1 /2 tsp
2.Cumin seeds -1 /2 tsp
3.Hing -1 /2 tsp
4.Curry leaves – a few.
- Soak the above ingredients(except coconut , green chilli, ginger ) in water for 15 minutes and grind all together with little water to a smooth paste.
- If using curd just give a whisk i a mixie or hand blender , add turmeric powder and salt and mix well.
- Boil the vegetables in water .
- When cool add it to the butter milk mixture .
- Add the ground mixture to the butter milk and cook in a heavy bottom pan in a very slow flame.
- When the mixture boils switch off the flame .
- Temper with the given ingredients in coconut oil .
Paruppu Usli Is a tradition in our houses. Either this or Potato curry is a must in our houses during special days. Paruppu usili is lentil based curry with vegetables like bean, cabbage, onion , banana flower or cluster beans .
- Beans -1 cup
- Tuvar Dal -1 /4 cup
- Channa Dal -1 /2 cup
- Red Chilli – 4 TO 5
- Cumin seeds -1 /2 tsp
- Turmeric powder -1 /2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil- 3 to 4 tbsp
- Mustard seeds -1 /2 tsp
- Curry leaves – a few sprig
- Soak the dals in water for 15 minutes .Then drain the water and dry grind it with cumin seeds and red chilli
- Cut beans and cook in water.
- In a pan add oil and temper with mustard seeds.
- Add the ground mixture and beans , salt .
- Mix well and add it to the oil.
- In a low flame let it cook. stir occasionally.
- The final product should be crisp and soft.
- That’s it . A non stick pan or cast iron will do the wonder .
It is my long time favourite to make and eat this cake.(: My aunt presented a box full of this sweet when i attained puberty. During Deepavali my Grandmother and maami used to make this cake . Two varieties one using Chocolate powder and Vanilla flavoured pista cake was made. It was a delight to see them making all these. Sitting at the entrance of the kitchen we used to admire the art of sweet making . My sister to a higher extent,will admire my Grand mother’s talent in presenting and arranging the sweets . Everything in glass containers, tins painted and the name of ingredients written on it , the neat cuts of sweets, the same pattern in murukkus, the glassy appearance in Karthigai pori urundai. kolams are all my Grandmother Pankajam Paati’s talent. In the midst of making all these she used to make Dosai and serve us on the happy afternoons. My maami a silent partner helped her and she knows about all Paati made. Hmm. those were times when we just watched people and learnt a lot . Now to the Deepavali recipe Maida cake , which my Periamma explained over the phone is a great hit . It is simple to make and is also liked by children . I just tried with 1/2 cup yesterday and it came out well. Hoping to make this for Deepavali . Prema Periamma is also an expert in making all types of sweets and savories and it is she who teaches even my Paati on all these sweets .
- Maida/ APF – 1 cup
- Sugar – 2 cups
- Ghee- 1 and a 1/4 cup
- Condensed Milk – 1/4 cup
- Grease an aluminium plate with ghee.
- . In a kadai add ghee and fry the maida well. Use all the ghee.
- Remove the fried maida and put this a bowl.
- In the same kadai add sugar and a cup of water and make the sugar syrup.
- When the sugar syrup is being made, add the cocoa powder and condensed milk to the fried Maida and whisk well.
- Stir the sugar syrup well.
- The one string consistency and further than the some string consistency isideal
- When you touch the sugar syrup it must form a unbroken single line in between your fingers . This is the right consistency.
- Now pour the syrup on the Maida and whisk well.
- Note this step is done not on the stove .
- Whisk well. Pour the mixture on the aluminum tray.
- Allow it to cool.
- Make patterns of your required choice and cut .
- Cocoa Cake is ready .
1.We can ad vanilla essence and Pista colour can be added .
2 We can add chocolate Powder too.
3. We can add Khoa or milk powder instead of condensed milk .
Most ideal one for those unplanned evenings when we feel lazy yet we want a good dinner. Got this idea from Subbus Kitchen . This was actually her version for paniyaaram. i decided to make dosais with this Tasty and very quick food to cook. Now for the recipe.
1.Instant cooking Oats -1 cup
2.Rava – 3/4 cup
3.Rice Flour -1 /4 cup
4.Green Chilli – 2
5.Sour Curd -1 cup
6.Mustard seeds -1 tsp
7.Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
8.Cut Green chilli -2 tsp
9.Big onion -2 (Sliced into thin slices)
10.Ginger -1 tsp (Cut into small pieces )
11.Curry leaves – few
1. Dry roast the oats in a pan for few minutes and keep it aside.
2. Dry roast semolina/ Rava too in the pan and when cool grind together oats and Rava to a coarse powder.
3.Take this in a mixing bowl and add rice flour, salt and sour curd. Add enough water and mix well.
4. Keep it aside for few minutes. In a pan add oil little enough for seasoning and add mustard seeds, jeera , cut green chilli and onion . Finally add ginger and saute well . Add curry leaves at last and add this to the batter.
5. Take a dosa pan season it with oil and when hot enough pour a ladle of the batter and add a tsp of oil . Cook for few minutes, flip over and cook on the other side.
The unique specialty of this dosa is it does not take a long time like our regular dosai or takes oil like Rava Dosai.
Serve hot and enjoy on a dull evening.
Broccoli with egg is a yummy side dish . Soup with broccoli is also equally good. The half cooked Broccoli is a pleasure to our taste buds . But in the midst of cooking Indian vegetables Broccoli and cauliflower are always forgotten by me . Luckily while doing the maintenance diet after detox i happened to take note of all soups and veggies around me. Otherwise half of my life would have gone cooking the same monotonous way.
How much greedy is my tongue even while dieting?
1. Broccoli Flower -1
2.White Pepper powder -1 Tsp
3.Milk -1 /2 Cup
4.Italian herbs -1 Tsp
5. Salt – as per taste.
6. Oil -2 tsp
1. Wash and separate the broccoli flowers.
2. In a pan add oil and saute the broccoli flowers.
3.. Reserve few for garnishing
4..The remaining flowers when cool should be ground with little water to a smooth paste.
5. In a pan add this paste , half a cup of milk, little water if necessary, salt mix well and boil in low flame.
6. When the soup is hot enough add pepper powder and Italian herbs.
7..Garnish with sauteed broccoli and serve Hot.
A simple and filling choice for Dinner .